4 Ways to Grab the Attention of Your Audience
- Author Sonja Stetzler
- Published June 18, 2014
- Word count 338
Gaining your audience's attention at the beginning of your presentation is crucial for two reasons: your audience will remember the first things you say (primacy effect), and they will decide to stay engaged with you. Here are 4 ways to start your presentation on the right path for engagement.
Pause. There is immense power in a pause, and the beginning of your presentation is the only time when you will have your audience's undivided attention. Take advantage of this the opportunity and don't rush to make your first remarks. Pause for couple of seconds before uttering your first words. This will make your opening statement even more impactful.
Tell a Story. We are all hard-wired for stories. Stories engage an audience on an emotional level as stories create meaning and a shared experience for your listeners. Open with a story that relates to the premise or main point in your presentation.
Use a Provocative Statistic or Quote. John Medina, author of Brain Rules writes, "... novel stimuli - the unusual, unpredictable, or distinctive - are powerful ways to harness attention... " Find a little known statistic or quote to start the wheels turning in the minds of your audience. They will stay tuned out of curiosity to hear the "how" or "why" that relates to your unique initial remarks.
Engage in an Activity. Techniques like body polls are a quick and easy way to engage your audience, suggests Bill Hoogterp, speaking coach and CEO of Blue Planet Training. What's a body poll? With a body poll, you ask your audience to use parts of their body (hands, fingers) to give an answer to a question. For example, if a speaker asks, "On a scale of 1 - 10, how would you rate your eating habits?" The audience would raise their fingers to rate themselves on this scale. You can then use this data to interact with your audience.
Don't waste the beginning of your speech with powerless platitudes. Start strong, because attention spans are short, and second chances at first impressions are rare.
Sonja Stetzler, MA, RD is a communications and public speaking coach who works with business and healthcare professionals to improve their presentation skills so that they can grow their business or advance in their careers. For FREE tips on improving your presence on the platform, visit www.effectiveconnecting.comArticle source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- 3 Tips on Updating Your Resume in the Wake of COVID-19
- A Guide to the Four Basic Functions of a Motor Starter
- What is the need of hiring a professional photographer?
- The Importance of Brand Messaging for a Successful Website Redesign
- Closed Captioning Services: All You Need To Know About It
- Personal Branding Tips to Boost Business Success
- How to Create a Powerful Corporate Brand
- The Importance of Building and Maintaining a Good Credit Rating
- Does Your Website Need a Content Makeover?
- An Introduction To IPTV
- 5 things to consider before you buy a multifunction printer for the office
- 6 Website Must-Have’s for Small Businesses
- Secrets to Creating a Visual Brand Identity That Sets You Apart
- 7 Crucial Elements to Building an Effective Personal Brand
- Planning to Start A Cafe? Know What Types Of Furniture Will Work!
- Is Jealously the Biggest Culprit in Thwarting Your Business Growth?
- Less is More......
- How Can a Business Select an Excellent Venue to Hold Conferences, Company Parties, and Other Business Events
- 10 Superstar Networking Tips to Grow Your Business
- Why Your New Program Launch Could Fail (And How to Prevent it)
- Eight top-notch companies with disappointing websites
- Grow your business in New Zealand with effective presentations
- How to Gesture-AKA; What do I do with my hands?
- Membership Suite Plus: The Customizable Online Course/Training Platform
- The Importance of Having a Crisis Communications Plan in Place for Emergency Management for Business
- CB radio or "citizens band" radio is the perfect medium range communications tool
- 3 Myths about Why People Can’t Change
- What Makes A Nice Digital Edition?
- Do you Care Enough to Know What You Have To before Hiring a Translation Agency?