Trucks – Heavy Duty Vehicles!
- Author Aubrey Milburn
- Published December 10, 2008
- Word count 464
The word ‘truck’ is believed to be a derivative of Greek word – "trochos" which takes the meaning of a wheel. Lorry is yet another term used in this conjunction in United Kingdom whereas wagons with large wheels are known as trucks in North America. Pickup trucks, semi trucks, GMC trucks are the variants that are available. In countries like New Zealand and Australia a small vehicle with open back is known as ‘ute’ (abbreviated form of ‘utility vehicle’) or also known as pick-up. In the US only large vehicles used in commercial purposes are called as trucks.
The various important parts of the truck are the Engine, the Drive train and the frame.
Engine: An Engine forms the most important part of a truck as it decides the running capability of a truck and has to be carefully chosen to match the application for which the truck is intended to be used. Gasoline engines are generally used by small trucks like the pickups or SUVs (Sport Utility Vehicles) and also by the medium-duty trucks. However heavier trucks generally use four stroke turbo intercooler diesel engines and highway trucks employ locomotive-type engines which are either two-stroke or a V12 Detroit diesel engine. Most of the truck manufacturers in North America outsource the engine, whereas companies like Volvo and Mack Trucks use their own engines. Euro 5 regulations are complied with by all the truck engines in European nations in the interest of the environment.
Drive Train: Light duty trucks use transmission method similar to that of the cars which are either automatic or manual with synchornisers. Heavier trucks however use manual transmission without synchroniser that is less bulky. Crash boxes (transmissions without synchronizers) have a requirement of employing double clutching for every shift, called as "floating". Generally North American setups include 9,10,13,15 and 18 speed levels. Semi-automatic or fully automatic transmission system is generally preferred to reduce the fuel consumption. In European market the gears may be of 8, 10 and 12 in case of manual transmission while for automatic transmission it might range anywhere between 5-12 gears. The trucks generally have range shift pattern in the gear system.
Frame: Two parallel boxed rails held together by cross members are the main composites of the frame of a truck. They may also be called as ladder frames since they resemble that of a ladder when tipped on end. Crossmembers are mostly attached to frame rails by using rivets or bolts, but sometimes may be welded in case of heavy duty application. The material used to make frame is generally steel but aluminium can also be a substitute to it.
Although trucks contribute to some pollution, they eject fewer air polluting emissions when compared to a car or any other vehicle, but still it contributes to a high level of sound pollution.
About the Author:http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Benefits of Leasing a Van or Truck for Your Small Business
- Vehicular Performance - Miles vs. Hours
- IFTA Calculation through ELD and Fleet Management
- MA 1080 – Telematics wonder by Matrack
- How to reduce Driver Detention?
- Transition from AOBRD to ELD
- The Truck Drivers of the Future - Millennials
- Combating Cargo Theft
- How to find a good trucking company?
- Customise Your Ute With Ute Storage Drawers
- 5 Significant Factors You Should Consider Before Renting a Vehicle
- Do You Need a Truck Rack?
- Self-Driven Vehicles Testing Guidelines Tightened
- Driver Buddy The Latest Technology in Driver Management.
- 5 Reasons to Begin a Career as a Truck Driver
- Buying A Used Forklift
- Increased Fatality Rates Due to Commercial Truck Rollover Accidents
- Train Air Horns Sound
- 6 fascinating facts about Caterpillar
- The world’s biggest and deepest mines
- Featured Equipment: Komatsu WA500-3 Loader
- How Cargo Vans Can Uplift Your Business
- Tax deductions to drive plant and equipment sales
- How to avoid truck blind spots
- How we remain safe on the road and you can too
- Hall of Fame celebrates our Aussie truckers
- The future of Australian mining metals: liquid natural gas
- Top 5 facts about the largest Caterpillar wheel loader
- Turbo Diesel Pick Up Trucks and Fuel Dilution Issues
- Truck Accessories-Many fix real troubles