Maintenance After Divorce In Cyprus
- Author Michael Chambers
- Published July 25, 2016
- Word count 366
Divorce is a highly delicate area of family law. An important thing that needs to be clarified is that divorce does not entirely terminate the relations of spouses, despite the fact that their legal relations, rights and obligations cease to exist. In other words, marital life establishes a moral relationship on which a spouse may rely and claim maintenance, regardless of the dissolution of the marriage, under the provisions of Law Regulating Property Relations of Spouses (232/1991).
Section 5 of Law 232/1991 provides that the former spouse can apply for maintenance if:
• He/she is unable to support himself/herself from his/her income;
• He/she is unable to work due to health problems or other obstacles;
Nevertheless, section 6 of the Law clarifies that the maintenance order can be limited or terminated if:
• This is imposed by serious reasons;
• The duration of the marriage was very short;
• The claimant voluntarily caused his/her poverty;
• The dissolution of the marriage was caused due to claimant’s fault;
The maintenance amount is determined based on the needs of the beneficiary considering his/her standard of living before the divorce and all the necessities for the sustenance of the beneficiary. Additionally, if the spouse against whom the maintenance order is issued receives a thirteenth or fourteenth month pay, then it is possible the maintenance order to include a thirteenth or fourteenth monthly payment.
Pursuant to section 10 of the Law, each of the spouses can apply to the court to modify or annul the maintenance order. The maintenance amount may be decreased or raised based on the circumstances. For instance, if the financial situation of the beneficiary improves or if the financial status of the debtor worsens, then the maintenance order can be modified. According to the Law 232/1991, the maintenance amount automatically increases by 10% every 24 months (2 years).
The maintenance order ceases to have effect if:
• The beneficiary remarries or he/she cohabits with someone else in a form of free union;
• The beneficiary or the spouse against whom the maintenance order is issued dies;
• The order is annulled by the Court;
Maintenance after divorce is a sensitive matter that needs to be addressed carefully. Therefore, it is important to consult a family lawyer.
Michael Chambers and Co. LLC is a full service Cyprus law firm offering a wide spectrum of expertise in an impressive variety of legal disciplines. Our philosophy is simple: you give us the facts and we will give you the law, based upon which we will undertake your instructions in an efficient and cost-effective manner. For more information: www.cypruslawfirm.comArticle source: https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Mirage of Divorce and Separation
- How a Smile Makeover Can Help You Start Over After a Divorce
- Go easy on yourself after divorce: why post-divorce guilt exists, and why it shouldn't
- Alimony, Spousal Support, & Dividing Marital Property During a Divorce
- When to Seek the Aid of a Family Lawyer While Proceeding with Divorce in UAE
- The Shattered Dreams of Divorce
- Steps for Starting the Divorce Process
- Suffolk Country Top 5 Rated Divorce Lawyer
- How to Cope with Divorce
- Why Should You Opt For A Postnuptial Agreement?
- What is a C100 Child Arrangements Form and When Do I need One?
- Co-Parenting After Divorce: 3 Benefits for Your Family
- Divorce and Children During the Holidays
- What Factors Determine the Type and Amount of Alimony in Florida?
- Divorce Lawyer in Spring TX
- Spousal Maintenance and A Huge Mistake
- Top 6 Uncovered Branches under Family Law Fort Worth You Must Know
- Fort Worth’s Divorces are Painful, But It Gets Adjusted Overtime
- Navigating the Difficulties of a Divorce
- Contemplating a Divorce? Why You Need a Divorce Lawyers
- Advantages Of Being The First To Meet With A Divorce Lawyer
- Divorce Costs: The Cost Of Revenge
- Family Violence More Likely To Occur In Homes With Kids
- Divorce Property Settlement Myths
- Cross Divorces In Cyprus
- Help Save My Marriage: How to save your marriage when it’s only you making attempts to see it last
- Unexpected Upsides to My Parents Divorce
- Child Custody and Religion During a Divorce
- The Why and How about a Prenuptial Agreement?