New Zealand’s Struggle with Marijuana
- Author Katherina Gaidarzhy
- Published September 5, 2011
- Word count 431
The small island nation of 4 million people has one of the world highest marijuana arrest rates. Views among the population are divided however on how best to fix this situation.
In a nation of 4 million people 400,000 annual cannabis users is alarming. Each 10th can't pass a drug test. The New Zealand Law Commission released a report that recommended a complete overhaul of the 1975 Misuse of Drugs Act. The Commission recommended that the Government engage in clinical test of the benefits of medical marijuana as soon as possible. It went on to say that police should not arrest people using cannabis for pain or illness until the clinical tests are completed. For minors the commission recommends a cautioning and rehabilitation system as opposed to criminal punishments.
The New Zealand public on the other hand is divided. Dale Kirk who manages Methcon a drug education company says, "any moves to liberalize cannabis laws are not necessarily beneficial to the overall community, particularly young people. I think anything that makes it easier for young people to their hands on drugs is not helpful." He goes on to say that the move to put minors in drug rehabilitation is a "slap on the wrist." Mr. Kirk instead recommends a system of fines and demerit points for multiple convictions.
Mr. Kirk’s views are shared by many New Zealanders. Assuming he is not speaking form a purely financial aspect, he owns a drug education center remember, his concern about protecting kids and decreasing usage are valid. The New Zealand Law Commission set out making their report with these same goals but came up with different solutions. Everyone wants to protect kids and limit usage but the public has to learn the current system is not working.
The New Zealand Associate Minister of Health Peter Dunne has praised the commission but says the government will need time to review its findings. This New Zealand Commissions findings come on the back of similar findings by the United Nations and the United States Senate. Not that long ago the only government report calling for major changes to drug laws was the 1972 Schaffer Commission which had the invest effect of Nixon declaring war on drugs. The Schaffer Commission may have been a thorn in the side of the drug war for year but made no headway in preventing it. With the growing mountain of reports decrying the drug war it is harder for governments to ignore the damage they have caused. Today all the information is available the governments of the world only need the courage to act on it.
There are no posted comments.
- The Boarder Crisis will only get worse
- CardioFlex Therapy Spring 2021 Community Events
- Travelling Through the Timeline
- Nicolle Stinson is called to Ministry
- Contrary To The Ethiopian Transport Minister's False & Misleading Statements - ET302 Flight Crew Did Not Follow Procedures
- What should you consider when planning an event?
- Saving the world with Eco-Powered WiFi for Events
- Make you holiday Party ‘A Fun Blasting’ with Party Energizers!
- The "Great Recession" - Ten Years Later
- From Burning Trees To a Lighthouse
- The African-American With Lewis and Clark
- Get to know about Significant event security tips
- Three Messages That Astounded Me
- How Channing's list Helps You Joining Ecstatic Events in Your City?
- Make Your Cocktail Party Best In A Cocktail Lounge Huddersfield
- Two Million Dollars Bail
- Some Simple Ways To Make Your Children's Birthday Party Huddersfield A Hit
- Can you Handle the Magic of Disney World Gay Days?
- The "Ins and Outs" of Event Budget Planning
- Sergeant Robert Bales is facing court martial for gunning down 18 civilians during a killing spree.
- Carefree is "Car Country" Every Saturday Morning
- Technological breakthroughs
- Support Adult and Pediatric Epilepsy Day at Paul Martin’s American Bistro
- Geelong is the best area for wedding venue in Australia
- How to buy Football Tickets Safely
- Whitefish Community Foundation hosts Third Annual Summer Art Social Fundraiser
- Metro Detroiters Help Homeless Veterans
- Planning an Event? Find the Top DMC in Chicago and Milwaukee
- New York's "Serious Injury" Requirement – A Recent Car Accident Case That The Jury Blew