To Risk Or Not To Risk, That Is THE Question!
- Author Bill Treasurer
- Published July 10, 2016
- Word count 495
To live is to risk. Risk-taking is as essential to life as breathing. It is the oxygen of such things as innovation, entrepreneurialism, leadership, wealth creation, and high adventure. Without risk, there can be no scientific progress, economic expansion, or community activism. At a more personal level, remove risk and there is no personal growth, career advancement, or spiritual development (faith, after all, is a big risk). Personally and collectively, all progress, advancement, and momentum depend on risk. Like air, it is both nourishing and life sustaining. And, like change, risk is constant, inescapable, and inevitable.
To risk is to live. As a vehicle to personal progress, taking risks is the surest way to get from where you are to where you want to be. The most fulfilling times in your life-the times you felt most alive-have undoubtedly been when you surprised yourself by doing something you never imagined you could, something hard, something scary. Though most of us have enjoyed the accompanying rewards of an intelligently taken risk, most of us have crashed-'n-burned under an ill-considered one as well. By definition, to face risk is to be vulnerable and exposed to harm. Consequently, we spend a lot of time trying to avoid risk by "playing it safe." Chances are, anytime you have passed up a big opportunity, stayed in an unsatisfying situation, or failed to stick up for yourself, avoiding risk had a lot to do with your behavior.
In a world that continually reminds us about how unsafe it is, it is difficult to maintain a "play it safe" approach. From terrorist threats, to stock market gyrations, to corporate implosions, we are buffeted by the reckless risks of others. In an increasingly compressed and frenetic world, we are like billiard balls being smacked around in somebody else's pool hall hustle.
Ironically, those who play it safe may be in the greatest danger. When we don't take risks we get stuck in a rut of safety. Over time, we become trapped inside our own life, like a pearl confined to its shell. Life becomes stale and boring. We grow resentful at ourselves for letting our grand passions languish. We tell ourselves, there's got to be something more out there for me. But we know we'll never find it unless we take more risks.
Here are a few questions that can be used when you aim to take more risks:
For the sake of what? In other words, what are you hoping to achieve by taking more risks?
What are you ready to lose? When you "take" a risk, you have to be prepared to sacrifice something in return. What are you willing to let go of in order to gain something through the risk?
What if you don't risk? Every risk can be divided into two: the risk of action and the risk of inaction. If you don't take the risk, what negative impacts could result from your inaction.
©2016. Bill Treasurer. All rights reserved.
Bill Treasurer is the Chief Encouragement Officer of Giant Leap Consulting. His newest book, A Leadership Kick in the As: How to Learn from Rough Landings, Blunders, and Missteps, will be published by Berrett-Koehler Publishers in 2017. Bill has worked with thousands of executives from organizations including NASA, CNN, Spanx, Hugo Boss and the Pittsburgh Pirates. Visit http://www.giantleapconsulting.com to learn more.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- You Only Need To Believe In Order To Begin Attracting
- How To Attract Everything You Desire Effortlessly
- Law Of Attraction-How To Create A Powerful Money Portal
- The Wealth Secrets of Sam Walton, Founder of Walmart
- The Stock Market Investing Secrets of Warren Buffett, the World's Greatest Stock Market Investor
- The Stock Market Investing Secrets of Carlos Slim Helu, the World's Richest Person in 2018
- One-Hour Practicum Experience
- Inspiration and Its Wisdom
- PUZZLE OF LIFE
- Replace The Negatives In Your Life With Positivity And Move Your Life Forward
- Leadership in Trying Times — 5 Leadership Traits
- I have a Dream and it makes me excited
- IT’S NEVER TOO LATE
- Best motivational, inspirational quotes
- Best Life Quotes of All Time
- Changing Our Mindset To Achieve Our Highest Potential
- The 7 "P"s
- You Can Pass The Test!
- How to promote your online profile (five basic steps).
- Are You a Queen or Still a Princess?
- Luck has nothing to do with it
- Forget about forgetting your insecurity — here’s what to do instead!
- Okay, so you messed up. Now what?
- Why is taking the first step so hard?
- How To Transition From a Wantrepreneur To an Entrepreneur
- Resiliency: An Equal Opportunity Resource
- Now What Did Cheri Do?
- Why the Idea of "Perfection" is BS
- A Few Words About Wayne Dyer
- 10 inspirational quotes than can improve yourself: Do You Really Need It? This Will Help You Decide!