Why is taking the first step so hard?
- Author Andy Kay
- Published June 23, 2017
- Word count 565
If you’re anything like I used to be, you’ve been held back by your current problems for more than a matter of months. You've wanted to be taking the first step. But... How??
We do this for several reasons. Some more evident than others.
For example, if lack of confidence is holding you back, there’s probably several by-problems affecting your entire predicament.
You might feel too tired; stressed; hurt; overwhelmed; too frightened. Or your fear might be an inner, hidden one which manifests as apparent laziness and comfortability.
Maybe you don’t know how to plan your time. Maybe you prioritize wrongly. Or maybe you don’t feel comfortable in making the right choices.
The right choices are different from everyday ones like choosing what to wear, what to eat, when to sleep, what to read, etc.. For the most part, those make but small differences in our lives.
Conversely, making the right choice is the last thing anyone does before permanently changing their life for the better.
The right choice has will and focus behind it. A will to go in a certain direction; a focus on the direction itself.
Now, those things in themselves don’t make any choice "right". (I’m sure a lot of murderers had will and focus too…) But any right choice will necessarily encompass will and focus.
Then, why is making the right choice so hard for people with low confidence?
I’d like to be able to present a simple, yet surprising reason here. But the fact is, people are different, and so are their sources of low confidence, respectively.
Some might not know what they want. Others might, but may then be too scared of failure and humiliation. - Or even of the responsibility and exposure following a successful completion.
Whatever it is, here’s the good news:
While taking the first step might seem hard, the first step matters less than you think.
So what really matters is that no matter how you feel, you go ahead and do it anyway.
Yes, it’s scary. But you can do it.
Consider how great musicians and speakers get nervous before going onstage. Hell, great artists are among the world’s most notoriously depressed people.* But they do it anyway.
I’m not making you feel bad about yourself. I’m saying, whatever you want to do CAN be done.
And if you don’t know what you want, you won’t find out by wallowing in inactivity, but by getting out and gathering new inspiration.
Remember: You can always change directions. If you’re stuck somewhere, you probably won’t evolve. But whatever new place you go, you’ll learn new things to help you further on.
All you gotta do is to be taking that first step to get going.
Write down your three biggest values, your three biggest strengths, and your three biggest interests.
Take the biggest one from each category, and write down three possible ways of combining the three into something you’d like to do.
Write down the three first things you can do to make this happen.
For the next three days, do one of these things.
Repeat point 4) to 5).
Congratulations: You're taking the first step.
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3181877/; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10203964
Andy Kay helps people who are held back -- by fear, overwhelm, anxiety, indecisiveness, anything. He knows what works and what doesn't, and he doesn't tolerate "spiritual" BS about "higher powers" and "purposes". -- We have access to all the power we need to achieve our own purposes; period. Visit https://www.getconfidencecoaching.com and get confidence and empowerment by mail!Article source: http://articlebiz.com
- Inspiration and Its Wisdom
- PUZZLE OF LIFE
- Replace The Negatives In Your Life With Positivity And Move Your Life Forward
- Leadership in Trying Times — 5 Leadership Traits
- I have a Dream and it makes me excited
- IT’S NEVER TOO LATE
- Best motivational, inspirational quotes
- Best Life Quotes of All Time
- Changing Our Mindset To Achieve Our Highest Potential
- The 7 "P"s
- You Can Pass The Test!
- How to promote your online profile (five basic steps).
- Are You a Queen or Still a Princess?
- Luck has nothing to do with it
- Forget about forgetting your insecurity — here’s what to do instead!
- Okay, so you messed up. Now what?
- How To Transition From a Wantrepreneur To an Entrepreneur
- Resiliency: An Equal Opportunity Resource
- Now What Did Cheri Do?
- Why the Idea of "Perfection" is BS
- A Few Words About Wayne Dyer
- 10 inspirational quotes than can improve yourself: Do You Really Need It? This Will Help You Decide!
- Tangible Tool - Receiving Community
- 7 Tips To Inspire Your Destiny and Life Purpose
- To Risk Or Not To Risk, That Is THE Question!
- Let's Change The World
- If Seal Is Broken... (Might as Well Laugh)
- How to Co-Create with the How
- Learning to Love