- Author Glenise Anderson
- Published April 20, 2011
- Word count 557
Negotiation is one of those aspects of life we face on a daily basis. It is essential that a person have powerful negotiation skills, as everything in life requires it. Through great negotiation techniques, you can be very successful in your work, as well as your personal life.
The most important thing is you must understand that negotiation is a skill or a talent. Not everyone has the ability to negotiate; however it is achievable through learning and practice. Everyone should try to become proficient at this skill, to ensure you get the best deal for what it is you require. In order to be a great, successful and powerful negotiator, there are some important tips you need to keep in mind.
When negotiating it important you focus on the particular outcome you want and you must be able to successfully present your argument. At the same time, if money is involved, it is essential that you talk about it before finalizing a deal. Do not be shy and avoid the topic. There should be no surprises at the last minute. Being calm focused and patient while negotiating is very important. You should always keep your emotions away from the discussion. There’s a saying that goes "When emotion is high, intelligence is low". If you can remain calm, cool and collected, you are more likely to negotiate a successful deal.
Never take the first step when negotiating. If negotiating on a wage rate and someone asks you what rate you are expecting, ideally respond with a question back to them by asking them their budget and what amount they are willing to pay. Believe in what you are asking for. You can choose an amount and not budge, or you can ask for more than the amount you intend on receiving and be willing to negotiate. Do not be arrogant in your conversation but have very good reasons to convince them that they can give you a better offer than the present one.
Be very clear on your bottom line. In order to be a successful negotiator you should be able to give the impression that you may walk away from the deal that is being offered to you, if that is what you are actually willing to do. You must also be ready to offer the other party those things which do not have any impact on your side of the deal or the things you are willing to compromise on. This way, everyone feels they have contributed to the negotiation process and ensures a good relationship between both parties at the end of the conversation.
If you have other options you are looking at, ensure the other party is aware of them, albeit not the specifics.
A successful negotiator should be able to read body language and use it in order to read what the other person is thinking or to send a message to the other party. Body language is of great assistance in assessing when it is time to move to another subject and take a different tack.
These are some important points and tips every successful negotiator should keep in mind and work on. Read books on negotiation, body language and influencing. Negotiation is a skill that can be learned and with practice you will be a far more confident negotiator.
Glenise Anderson is a successful business woman who wants to share her knowledge and skills
with other women. Her organization Self Confident Women, provides tailored education solutions that meet the personal and professional development needs of women. Development and Training Courses for WomenArticle source: https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Learning to Say No
- 5 Steps to Successful Negotiation
- Contract negotiations
- Chinese Negotiation Style - Meetings
- What People Really Want
- How to be a negotiation expert?
- Negotiation Checklist to Ensure a Successful Outcome
- Top 10 Negotiation Strategies
- Choose to Lose - techniques of negotiation
- Clear Negotiating Includes Ploys & Techniques
- Know How to Hold on to the Essence of Negotiating
- Covert Persuasion, Easy to Use Secrets to Hypnotism
- Broker Negotiations - How to Contact the Seller for a Deal
- 7 Tips to Negotiate the Best Telecommunication Contracts
- Broker Negotiations
- Wanting What You Cannot Have
- The Art Of Persuasion And Negotiation: 3 Useful Tips To Get What You Want From People
- Negotiating the Deal
- Negotiating With Conference Centres
- Sales Negotiation Skills: 3 Crucial Sales Negotiation Skills That Could Explode Your Income
- Tips To Negotiate Like A Pro
- The Power of Conversational Hypnosis
- Communication: Key To Harmonious Co-existence
- The Missing Keys to Great Negotiation Skills
- Tips To Successful Business Negotiation
- You Don't Have To Be Right To Settle: How To Negotiate LIke A Pro
- Anatomy of Negotiation
- Chinese Negotiation 101
- 7 Tips for Negotiating the Best Price for a Home